Friday, September 16, 2005

Sisyphus's Pet Rock by Thomas Carper


I have my rock, my hill. So, every day
My task, though hard, is known. And as I roll
My rock, its weight seems always to convey
A certain satisfaction to the soul.
Near sunset-time, just before I can see
The highest point, I purposely let go.
My rock responds and, thanks to gravity,
Takes its own way back to the plain below.
I follow willingly, our duties done,
And grateful that another day's in store,
And glad to think my rock and I are one
In labor and in meaning. Surely, more
Is not to be expected; surely we
Will have our task throughout eternity.

Background Info.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dr O2 said...

superb, touching & artistic...

P.S: everytime the rock roles down, it loses some weight due to surface damage. Yet the man gets stronger with the daily exercise. Will the pleasure stay the same as the pressure mounts down??

Jus a silly flight of idea perhaps ;-)

4:34 AM  
Blogger AcctEditor said...

I hadn't thought of that, with time - the rock should get smaller, eroded in some way. The pressure shouldn't mount down since the task is never ending - never done nor partly fulfilled.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

:-) This is about the punishment the gods gave this guy right?

hmmm... Upon anger sometimes gods make silly decisions then. ;-)

7:41 PM  
Blogger AcctEditor said...

I don't think that the gods were angry at all. In Greek mythology they depict the gods as puppet masters that did with humans what they pleased. However, in this case, the punishment came after death - in hell (the underworld), it seems. It is not clear what he did to deserve the punishment. That is not given any importance. What is clear is how appraised he is for facing his cruel reality.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

yes it is well-explained & touching.

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home