Tuesday, July 19, 2005

SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY by George Gordon (Lord) Byron (1788-1824)


SHE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

7 Comments:

Blogger Afternoon Latte said...

This is such a beautiful poem....just as beautiful as the lady it describes!!!

8:27 AM  
Blogger AcctEditor said...

I love the graceful movements he describes, they become very real in my mind; like the swaying of the breeze.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Afternoon Latte said...

Now that you mentioned the breeze, I feel it too....I am always fascinated by the opening two lines.....they make the poem for me!!!!!

7:57 AM  
Blogger AcctEditor said...

I am glad that you came back to re-read the poem. I think that that is the only way to fully appreciate a poem. It is like a song, the ones you love you listen to until you memorize them; and each time, you discover something new you hadn't noticed before. Plus, did you like the picture?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Afternoon Latte said...

Yes I do like the picture....not sure if it completely complements the poem though....I have always imagined the lady to be outside strolling thru' the garden....plus you mentioned the breeze and that makes me think of outdoor settings as well!!!!

8:18 PM  
Blogger AcctEditor said...

Actually I couldn't find a painting that resembles the image in my head either, which is of a lady in a black dress of the 1930's. She would resemble Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady" at the races, walking past all the tables where the men (and women) are admiring her. If you find one similar to that, please let me know.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Afternoon Latte said...

I could not find anything that fit my mental image either....maybe you just need to paint this one yourself chica!!!!
:)

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home